On Newsstands Now!


Get a copy delivered to your door every month for just $19.95 a year or $34.95 for 2 years. Click here to subscribe.

Chad Foster of Clarksdale, Mississippi bagged a huge 275-pound 14-point on Oct. 17, 2009 while hunting at Island 66 Hunting Club located near Clarksdale on the Mississippi River. The bow hunt was videotaped by his dad, Brad Foster,

“Harvesting this old boy was a dream come true. But, the icing on the cake was getting the hunt on video. This will preserve the memory of my hunt with Chad forever,” said Brad, headmaster at Marvell Academy in Arkansas.

Chad, a junior forestry major at Mississippi State University, used his Mathews bow and a Beman arrow with a G5 broadhead to stick the buck at a distance of 25 yards.

Foster’s buck was green-scored at 172-5/8 inches and aged at 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 years old, according to their taxidermist. The Foster family, including Brad’s oldest son, Bradford, have been avid hunters for many years.

“Chad and Bradford have been hunting since they were five years old,” Brad recalled. “As far back as I can remember, when the truck started up for a hunt, Chad was always the first to climb in. He truly loves the great outdoors. We’ve been hunting deer, turkey, and ducks together along the Mississippi River for years.”

Brad calls his son’s trophy deer “a once-in-a-lifetime buck,” adding it will be hung in a prominent place inside their Island 66 Lodge, along with mounts of other trophies taken over the years.

“We’ve harvested some bucks that scored in the 130s, 140s and one 150-inch deer, but never one in the 170s,” Chad said, adding, “Those on the wall now are going to have to move over and make room for ‘Big Daddy’.”

Brad, Sr. has hunted and videotaped hunts in Mexico, Florida, Texas, Missouri, Iowa and Arkansas for Southern Game Calls. Brad thanks Greg Hood, owner of the Clarksdale-based company, for the opportunity to hunt and film throughout the U.S. and Mexico.

(story continued below)

He described the memorable hunt as follows: “It began on a Saturday at 12:30 p.m., as Chad and I were getting back to the lodge after scouting a few new areas and checking on persimmon and acorn trees. After eating a sandwich, we began discussing the area we wanted to hunt that evening.

“We agreed on a stand Chad hunted the opening weekend of archery season, where he saw eight different bucks, with three being shooters. We also knew a 150-class 10-point was roaming around and had stayed out of this area for the previous two weeks.

“After showering and washing our clothes in Scent-Away, and packing everything in Scent-Away bags, we were off to the woods at around 3 p.m. We arrived at our stands without disturbance. Chad reached the seat of his 22-foot ladder stand and was pulling up his bow and bag as I was quietly climbing the tree directly behind him to get in filming position. I was about 12 feet up when Chad whispered, ‘Dad, be still, here comes a nice buck.’

“I froze as the buck approached our set-up. He stopped, circling downwind, but the buck’s nose was not good enough to detect any human scent. (Score one for Scent-Away). The 130-class 11-point fed around and then browsed off through the woods out of sight,” Brad said.

“As 5:30 p.m. neared – that magical time of the bowhunter’s day – Chad slowly turned my way and said, ‘Dad, here comes the 11-point again.’ We had both agreed not to take this buck, because we both knew there was a bigger one in the area. It turned out to be the correct choice.

After filming the 11-point for 15-20 minutes, Chad whispered to me again, “Here comes a monster from the cut over to my right.”

“I was on the smaller buck directly in front of us when all of a sudden he turned and looked toward the monster buck coming in.

The huge 275-bruiser bristled and came straight toward the 11-point, posturing sideways, head down for battle. As I moved the camera to him, the 11-point ran,” he said.

Stiff-legged and acting aggressively, the huge buck moved in closer to survey Chad’s soft grunting. At about 45 yards, I whispered, ‘I’m on him, shoot when he clears the limbs’,” Brad said.

“After about a minute and a half of filming, he cleared for the shot at 25 yards. Already at full draw, Chad squeezed the release and hit the buck square. The big boy went down at 5:50 p.m. Chad had arrowed a buck that was sure to stand out among the best in the South. After getting his hands on his trophy, Chad said, ‘I knew he was big, but I did not realize he was this big.’

“Over a five-year time frame, we have gotten over 500 trail cam pictures and many hours of video of numerous bucks in this area. However, no one had ever seen this huge buck. My years of hunting with my boys have been a true blessing to me. I give God all the glory and honor and thanks. I encourage all sportsmen to spend as much time as possible with their children in God’s magnificent creation.

In closing, enjoy God’s great creation, take good care of it and pass it on to the next generation of hunters.

Happy and safe hunting to all. See you in the woods!