On Newsstands Now!


Get a copy delivered to your door every month for just $19.95 a year or $34.95 for 2 years. Click here to subscribe.

Oil Spill


In response to the outpouring of concern from our readers over the environmental impact of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill we have launched our new Oil Spill Information Page.

This page has all of the contact information that we have available at this time. We will be updating the page frequently as new information is made available to us.

We have received countless calls and emails daily from our readers who want to help in any way possible. This selfless display of citizenship is an example the quality and caliber of our readers and we are proud to join hands with you in the effort to help clean up our Gulf.

Gulf Oil Spill Information

For NOAA media inquiries, please contact Keeley Belva at [email protected] or 301-713-3066

For response inquiries, please phone the Joint Information Center at 985-902-5231 or 985-902-5240

To report oil on land, or for general Community and Volunteer Information, please pone 866-448-5816

To report oiled or injured wildlife, please phone 866-557-1401

To discuss spill related damage claims, please phone 800-440-0858

BP is asking fishermen for their assistance in cleaning up the oil spill. BP is calling this the Vessel of Opportunities Program and through it, BP is looking to contract shrimp boats, oyster boats and other vessels for hire to deploy boom in the Gulf of Mexico. Fishermen should phone 425-745-8017



Useful Links:

Fact sheets and up-to-date information (http://www.noaa.gov/deepwaterhorizon)

Satellite Images (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skytruth/sets/72157623909364472/detail/)

Dauphin Island Sea Lab: (http://www.disl.org/)

Louisiana Dept. of Environmental Quality: (http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/)

Other Information:

I.Joint Information Center 1-866-448-5816 (http://deepwaterhorizonresponse.com)

II. *BP* has released the following information for those who have inquiries:

To report oiled wildlife, please call 1-866-557-1401

To discuss oil related damage, please call 1-800-440-0858

To report oiled shoreline or request volunteer information, please call 1-866-448-5816

III. Facebook Gulf Coast Oil Spill Volunteers: (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121928837818541&v=info)


“Volunteers are NOT yet needed, but we are collecting the contact info of people who want to assist in any clean-up efforts. We will be in touch with interested volunteers when we have a better idea of what kinds of volunteer assistance will be needed.”

Alabama 211 at 1-866-421-1266

Mobile Bay National Estuary Program 251-431-6409 - (http://www.mobilebaynep.org)

Alabama Coastal Foundation 251-990-6002 - (http://www.joinacf.org/)

Mobile Baykeeper 251-433-4229 - (http://www.mobilebaykeeper.org/) or mailto:[email protected] with your name, address, phone number, e-mail, and available resources (boat, etc.)

Report all marine mammal and turtle strandings as quickly as possible to the appropriate network: Sea Turtle strandings call: 866-732-8878 (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/oilspill/)


The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana is "acting as a volunteer clearinghouse." Anyone interested in helping can fill out the volunteer form accessible at .

Louisiana Emergency Page with hotlines for reporting on oil rig damage and claims + volunteer information - (http://emergency.louisiana.gov/)

The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has Oil Spill Response: News and Resources on their opening page at (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/oilspill/)

Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (http://www.crcl.org/coalitionprograms/oilspillrecovery.html)


Mississippi Department of Marine Resources 228-374-5000 - (http://www.dmr.state.ms.us/)

Institute for Marine Mammals (IMMS):

* If you would like to assist IMMS with oil spill response you can sign up to become an IMMS emergency volunteer. To sign up, send an email with the following information to mailto:[email protected]. You must be at least 18 years old to volunteer.

* Please include the following: name, address, cell phone number, ability to receive text messages, proximity to Gulfport, relevant education or skills (Examples: SCUBA diver, veterinarian or vet assistant, biologist, medical professional, mechanic, operate heavy/special equipment, boat captain), times and days you are available to volunteer, physical limitations such as medical conditions or inability to lift heavy objects.

Report all marine mammal and turtle strandings as quickly as possible to the appropriate network. Dolphins and Whales call: 888-767-3657


The Texas General Land Office oil spill reporting toll-free number is 1-800-832-8224

Galveston Bay Foundation (http://galvbay.org/volunteer_oil_signup.html) The Galveston Bay Foundation remains on standby to provide volunteer help in the case of any local impacts from the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. In that effort, we are collecting name of volunteers who may assist in the effort. If you are interested, please go to the above website and send us your contact information. Volunteers without specific oil spill response training will likely serve in a support role to trained responders and will not come in contact with any hazardous materials. We are monitoring this situation closely and will contact you as soon as the need arises. If you would like to provide direct help to our sister organization, the Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana, please go to (http://www.crcl.org/coalitionprograms/oilspillrecovery.html)


(Please use the BP Numbers above.)

Apalachicola River Keeper (http://www.apalachicolariverkeeper.org/) (Working with Mobile Bay Keeper in Alabama)

IX. Other Contacts:

Gulf of Mexico Sea Grant site (http://gulfseagrant.tamu.edu/oilspill/index.htm)

Environmental Protection Agency’s National Response Center-If you see or smell pollution related to the Oil Spill call 1-800-424-8802.

Number for Wildlife Experts who are authorized to help Tri-State Rescue and Research 302-737-7241 or email mailto:mailto:[email protected]

If you come across dead birds in the state of Florida please contact the Florida Wildlife Commission by filling out this online form (http://myfwc.com/bird/)