Top-Secret BBQ Tips
by Dana ‘Big Papa’ Hillis
Big Papa’s Country Kitchen has been cooking pretty hard and serious over the last couple years. We have experienced a little success, and now I would like to share some of the secrets I have learned while competing on the Florida BBQ Association (FBA) trail.
Smokin’ Cracker BBQ Pit Master Jimmy “Smokin’ Cracker’ Brod has finally perfected his redfish pot pie recipe and decided to share it with our readers this month. The next time you reel in your one slot red, be sure to pull out this issue and treat your family to an amazing dinner.
Smokin’ Cracker’s Redfish Pot Pie
- 1 or 2 fresh redfish (fillet fish and cut into 1-1/2” squares until you have about 2-3 pounds of fish.
Big Papa’s Green Beans
• 1 gallon canned green beans
• large onion chopped fine
• 1 pound cooked crisp bacon strips
• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
• 6 large, finely chopped jalapenos
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
• 1 pound Velveeta cut into 1” cubes
• 8 drumsticks (marinate in Italian dressing with 1/2 cup seasoning like Big Papa’s All Purpose, or a spicy chicken rub).
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 cloves minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons chili powder