ASA: Georgia Suppressor Hunting Bill Needs Support
ATLANTA, GA – Last week, the Georgia State Senate took a major step forward on critical suppressor hunting legislation when it voted to pass Senate Bill 93 by a 43-10 vote. Sponsored by Senator Bill Heath (R-31), SB 93 received overwhelming bipartisan support. The bill seeks to repeal the prohibition on the use of legally possessed suppressors while hunting in Georgia.
The primary role of a suppressor is to reduce the overall sound signature of the host firearm to hearing safe levels. They do so by trapping the expanding gasses at the muzzle and allowing them to slowly cool, in a similar fashion to car mufflers. Their muffling capabilities intrinsically make them a hearing protection device for both the shooter and those around them.
Following the vote, the bill was assigned to the Game, Fish, and Parks Committee in the Georgia House of Representatives. This marks the third year that a suppressor hunting bill has been assigned to this committee. Chaired by Rep. Jon Burns (R-Newington), the committee has thus far failed to let a suppressor hunting bill out of committee.
Georgia is currently one of only eight states that permits the ownership of suppressors, but not their use by hunters in any capacity. For a full map, visit the ASA’s website.
SB 93 needs your support to continue to move forward.
Please contact members of the House Game, Fish, and Parks Committee TODAY and urge them to support the legalization of suppressor use for hunters in Georgia. Contact information can be found below:
GEORGIA HOUSE GAME, FISH, AND PARKS COMMITTEE
- Chairman Jon Burns (R-Newington), Chairman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Stephen Allison (R-Blairsville), Vice Chairman: email@example.com
- Rep. Jimmy Pruett (R-Eastman), Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Sharon Beasley-Teague (D-Red Oak): email@example.com
- Rep. Roger Bruce (D-Atlanta): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Pam Dickerson (D-Conyers): email@example.com
- Rep. Emory Dunahoo (R-Gainesville): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Earl Ehrhart (R-Powder Springs): email@example.com
- Rep. David Knight (R-Griffin): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Tom McCall (R-Elberton): email@example.com
- Rep. John Meadows (R-Calhoun): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Jay Roberts (R-Ocilla): email@example.com
- Rep. Jason Shaw (R-Lakeland): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Jason Spencer (R-Woodbine): email@example.com
- Rep. Al Williams (D-Midway): firstname.lastname@example.org
About the American Silencer Association:
The American Silencer Association (ASA) is a registered 501(c)(6) non-profit trade association. Our mission is to identify and advocate for the common interests of the suppressor industry. To accomplish our mission, our principal initiatives focus on public education, and state and federal lobbying.
The ASA is a sponsorship and membership driven organization. For more information on how you can help protect and expand your right to own and use suppressors, please visit http://www.AmericanSilencerAssociation.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Knox Williams, email@example.com